Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Lady Lazarus" by Sylvia Plath


“Lady Lazarus” by Sylvia Plath
            As I began to read all of the poems assigned this week, I didn’t really connect with any of them.  But after I read them a second time, I was very confused by the poem “Lady Lazarus”.  What was this poem really about?  Was this a person or something in nature?  These are the reasons I chose to write about the poem. 
                In the first part of the poem, I was under the impression it was about a woman who had maybe came back to life or had been re-created.  “Peel off the napkin O my enemy.  Do I terrify?—— the nose, the eye pits, the full set of teeth?   The sour breath will vanish in a day.” (Plyth 10-15) I hear a woman saying that her bandages were just unwrapped and she does not look very appealing. And this them is continued later when she is describing the people standing by to watch this moment happen.
                But then toward the middle of the poem she talks about how this is something that has happened before, “Nevertheless, I am the same, identical woman. The first time it happened I was ten.  It was an accident. The second time I meant To last it out and not come back at all”. (Plyth  34-38) But now it sounds like maybe she had tried to commit suicide, but how and why does she come back?  This is why this poem has grabbed my attention, is this a vampire or a mythical creature?
                I am intrigued to research this poem and find out the real meaning behind it.  My favorite part of this poem is at the end when she is warning God and Lucifer to be aware of her, “Herr God, Herr Lucifer Beware Beware. Out of the ash I rise with my red hair And I eat men like air”.  Plyth 80-85)  Who is this woman and why is she so angry?  This is a question I hope to get an answer to in my analysis. 
          If you would like to read the poem in it's entirery click HERE.

  


































i



1 comment:

  1. Great post, I actually really liked this poem after reading it a few times cause at first I totally didn't understand it. I to feel like this poem is about a women recreating herself.

    ReplyDelete